Scandinavian walking is a kind of physical activity, which is a certain method of walking with the use of sticks.
The benefit of Scandinavian walking:
- Increases stamina.
- Reduces stress, helps to cope with depression.
- Significantly improves the blood supply of internal organs, normalizes the functioning of the cardiovascular system, reducing the likelihood of occurrence of ischemic disease.
- Reduces the sugar level, stabilizes the pressure.
- Eliminates muscle spasms, removing pain syndrome in any part of the spine.
- Improves coordination of movements, enhances the sense of balance.
- Increases the level of cerebral blood flow.
- Increases energy costs by activating metabolism.
- Burns more calories than other types of walking, so it is very effective for weight loss.
- Helps to return to a full-fledged life for people with musculoskeletal problems.
Peculiar features - more effective impact on the state of the body than ordinary walking, is due to the fact that sticks are used for Nordic walking, helping to relieve the body of a significant proportion of its own weight. With their help, the load is reduced to 35% on the lumbar and leg joints. Owing to the support of the sticks, the back remains straight. The muscular corset around the spine is formed more efficiently, which unloads the intervertebral discs. Their compression decreases. As a consequence, the nutrition of the cartilaginous tissue covering the surface of the joints improves.
- after spine injuries
- heart attacks
- lung diseases
- operations on the musculoskeletal system
- orthopedic abnormalities
- joint diseases
- vegeto-vascular dystonia
- shallow depressions
- very effective for losing weight
The right technique: the walking consists of 2 phases: the supporting one, when we completely rely on the foot, and the transfer phases.
The technique of Scandinavian walking, characterized by the fact that the foot should make a roll from the heel to the tips of the fingers, is based on 4 rules:
1. The main rule: the supporting phase begins with contact with the surface of the calcaneus, then the back part, then the fingertips. In general, the foot makes a rolling motion. At the stage of its complete contact with the ground, the phase of transfer of the other leg begins, which, after contact with the surface, will become the supporting.
2. The retracted hand after the push must open to keep the wrist joint healthy. Thus, the stick is released freely, but does not fall due to a secure fixation with the hand.
3. Right breathing. Inhale-exhalation should alternate according to the scheme: for the first 2 steps - inhale through the nose, for the next 3-4 steps - a deep exhalation through the mouth. With intensive walking, it is allowed to breathe only the mouth.
4. Straight back. Correctly selected sticks will prevent the bending to the spine during movement. The movements are similar to those made by skiers: when you swing your left arm works the right leg, and vice versa. The width of the steps can be adjusted by swinging the arms back and forth. Wide amplitude strengthens the load on the body, which increases the effectiveness of weight loss.