«Brest Regional Museum of Local Studies»
The characteristics of the oldest geological epochs, the stages of the formation of life on Earth are represented by graphic drawings and fossils. The installation of the left front limb of the mammoth, reaching a height of 3.5 m and making it possible the dimensions of the largest mammal that lived in the Quaternary period of the Cenozoic era are of particular interest for the visitors.
The rapid geological processes, which took place on the territory of the Brest region contributed to the formation of various minerals. The exposition presents the main types of minerals in the Brest region - samples of granite, peat and mineral waters. The map-scheme of the "Mineral deposits" gives an idea of the location of fossils on the territory of the region.
On the 18th of September 2012 a permanent exposition “History of Brest region from the primitive communal system to the first quarter of the 20th century” was opened. It is located in six halls on an area of 316 sq.m. The exposition presents more than 2000 exhibits, many of which are exhibited for the first time.
The first hall is devoted to the history of Brest region during the period of the primitive communal system (X thousand BC - VIII century AD). The main exhibits of the hall are archaeological materials. A special place in the disclosure of the ancient history of the region is occupied by the map “Monuments of the Stone and Bronze Ages in the Brest Region”, a complex of archaeological finds of settlements in the villages of Motol and Tyshkovichi, Ivanovo District, the “Time Tape” scheme with interchangeable Iron Age cultures, supplemented with drawings of clay vessels, various cultures, and drawings-reconstructions of male and female costumes. Here, too, archaeological finds of the Lusatian, Milograd, Zarubinets, Wielbark, Prague cultures.
The second exposition hall is devoted to the history of Brest region in the era of the early Middle Ages (IX - XIII centuries). Scientific developments of the museum staff, the Department of Archeology of the Institute of History of the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Belarus and the Brest State Aleksandr Pushkin University was reflected in the author's works - reconstructions (costumes of Dregoviches of the XII - XIII centuries, genealogical table of the Turov and Pinsk princes). Out of the eight stone idols that remained in Belarus, two are exhibited in the exposition, discovered in the villages of Zaluzie and Grabovtsy in Zhabinka district in 1970. On the background of the image of ancient Pinsk and the reconstruction of the castle in Kamenets at the end of the 13th-early 14th centuries the archaeological materials found during excavations of Berestye, Pinsk, Kamenets, Franopol and Gorodische are presented here. A significant place in the hall is occupied by the reconstruction of the East Slavic warrior of the 12th-13th centuries.
The third hall tells about the history of Brest region in the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and the Rzecz Pospolita (XIV-XVIII centuries). The room is divided into two parts. The first part is devoted to the history of the Berestye land as part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania (ХIV–ХVI), the second part is devoted to the history of the Berestye region in the Commonwealth (mid-ХVI –ХVIII centuries). The gothic concamerations of the hall, the banner with the image of the coat of arms of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania “Pogonya”, knight armor, samples of arms, clothing, furniture, coins of the coins of the 15th-18th centuries, the Stradech treasure of silver belts, ornaments and goblets convey the color of the Middle Ages.
The exposition of the fourth and fifth halls reveals the section “Brest region in the Russian Empire (1795-1900). The themes “The annexation of Brest region to the Russian Empire”, "The War of 1812", "The socio-political movement and socio-economic development in the region” are revealed through documents, maps, samples of military uniform and armament of the Russian and Austrian soldier of the early nineteenth century, the Belarusian nobleman of the first half of the nineteenth century, the diorama of the Zaosye farm, where the famous poet Adam Mickiewicz was born, the uniform of the senator of the Russian Empire and the armament of peasants who participated in the uprising of 1863-1864.
The sixth hall covers the period 1900 - 1921. The central place in the exhibition is occupied by a set of materials on the 1-st world war and the conclusion of the Brest Peace Treaty. Particular attention is drawn to the installation of the trench, the dirigible model, genuine weapons, awards, documents and photographs. The theme of the exhibition is “The Soviet-Polish War of 1919-1921. Treaty of Riga”.
The minimum group for the excursion is 10 people; the maximum group is 24 people.